Today Addie fixed breakfast for herself and her sisters (banana yogurt shakes). Later, Addie and Olivia went swimming with a friend. I wasn't home when they got dropped off. Addie was able to do the code to get into the garage, get the key, open the door and call me on my cell phone all by herself. Totally calm, she wondered where I was. I told her I was at grandmas, (about a mile away), and would be home in 5 minutes. I gathered Naomi and jumped in the car, amazed that she wasn't freaking out about me not being home when she got there. Naomi and I rounded the corner from my mom's house and there were Addie and Olivia on thier bikes- wet hair (from swimming), no coats, flip-flops, shorts, no helmets, and a mile away from home
together on their bikes. I pulled the car over, and rolled the window down. I sat there with my mouth open, not knowing what to say.... in my head counting how many streets they had to cross by themselves (6). I wasn't sure whether to yell, or congratulate them. We turned around and went back to grandmas where they warmed up and we had a talk about the safety issues involved in thier little adventure. (secretly, I was proud of them for being so independent, and for taking care of each other, but I didn't tell them to keep up the good work) They are only 7 and 5. What will come of them at 15 and 17, or 18 and 20. Yikes!
5 comments:
Hey! How are you guys? It's funny a few days ago I was looking through some mission stuff and found some pics of Elder Rigby. Boston feel like 100 years ago and High School even longer. I just took a quick peek at your blog. Your kids are ADORABLE! I'll try to keep in touch.
Yikes, I totally agree with how you felt! It's so amazing to see our kids grow up, yet so scarry and hard at the same time! I can't beleive your oldest is already seven!
Hi Amy!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love reading up on you and yours! Glad to hear your kids are not terribly risk averse. I can't wait.
love this post amy!! gives me hope that life with independant kids really does exist - and is just around the corner.... sometimes i forget! ;)
sounds like the girls are EXACTLY like their mama - adventurous, brave and a little bit of trouble!
Post a Comment