Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Our Budding Entreprenuer and Artist

For the past year, everytime Adeline does an art project (which is nearly everyday), as she finishes, she says, "this is for my art sale." I usually nodded and wondered what in the world her art sale was, but Oh well, as long as it was all cleaned up...
Well, she's been talking about this art sale all summer and finally told me she was ready to do it. I decided that I had better pay more attention and see what I could do to have it be a positive expereince for her. She pulled out a huge box FULL of things she has made for the past year.
I helped her make an invitation to deliver to her "fans" that would love to come and buy her art. She delivered the invites to neighbors and family. I also helped her make a few last minute "marketable" items (ie. bookmarks with pressed wildflowers and cards).
The day of the sale came. I helped Addie locate enough baskets to set her various items in- coloringbooks, books she wrote herself, make-your-own-art-kits, bookmarks, bracelets. We also strung her artwork for a clothesline and displayed several large paintings on make-shift easels. Then that cute little girl labeled each basket with prices and set up a play cash register.

Before the art sale even started she had early birds coming to purchase and browse at her art. The show went for 3 hours and it was packed for the entire time. I frantically tried to buy some of the things I couldn't live without, and called Jeremy at work to make sure he got home before there was nothing left to buy! I had to fight a neighbor for a painting that I didn't realize was for sale, and she was even commissioned to paint a painting for another neighbor for the price of $3. When the evening was over, exhausted, exhuberant Adeline opened her cash register and we counted $95.67! She could not believe it! She jumped right up and announced to those still there that there would be another art sale next year! Explaining that we would like her to pay $9.56 for tithing brought her to tears, but she paid it sweetly. Now she is shopping arduously to find the right item worthy of spending her cash! She would like to buy a motor scooter- Jer and I are trying to convince her otherwise. It seemed to be a marvelous lesson of hard work and using her hard earned money wisely. We will see... Great job Adeline, I am proud of you.

3 comments:

Snow Crew said...

Oh my gosh! She is so talented- and the business woman! You guys must have been beaming the whole time. How great and $97?! Garrett needs to look into having more art sales!

leslie said...

how fabulous is that!!! good for you addie!!!!!! and way to go mom, helping her fulfill a dream... a whole lot of work i'm sure, but obviously SO worth it!!

o charm said...

another cute addie story!! how fun.. .