Monday, November 12, 2007

Grandpa Bud


As today is Veterans' Day, I would like to honor, my Grandpa Bud Slagle. He recieved an award on Friday for his courageous service in WWII. It was such a neat ceremony @ the U of U union Building. Here's the highlights- and thanks uncle Guy, (I stole your pictures!) I was lucky enough to be able to "run" into the ceremony quickly while Addie, steps away was having her hernia surgery (more to come about that later). It was perfect timing!


From the Deseret Morning News Article:Each year around Veterans Day, the University of Utah selects nominated military veterans to be honored during a special ceremony. This year the University Veterans Day committee chose to honor World War II veterans because of their "advancing" years and "enormous" contributions they made to their country.Luman P. Slagle went into the Army in 1942. He served in the 60th Artillery of the 9th Infantry Division. Slagle landed on Normandy two days after D-Day. He was given the duties of radio operator on an artillery forward observation team. Slagle and company advanced through France and captured the Remagen Bridge, which was the only one over the Rhine left standing. Slagle was awarded the Silver Star.

(enlarge pic to read very cute poster)



Grandpa kissing his sweetheart! They are the cutest, couple. I am so lucky to have them in my life, and so proud of Grandpa. And to Grandma for always being my biggest fan (and all of her grandchildren's too, I am sure). You are both amazing and I love you both!

5 comments:

Snow Crew said...

I am so glad that you posted this. What a great honor. We are so lucky to have the greatest grandparents!

o charm said...

interesting timing, ame. i was just interviewing alex's grandpa yesterday about the war-- also a noble, courageous story, but one that was totally different as you can imagine. . .

daddybeaverchews said...

Amy Laurals Jason's wife took the pictures. She is somewhat our family videographer with her dear husband Jason on the video. Thanks for spreading the good word on Bud, a "truly humble hero"

daddybeaverchews said...

Amy Laurals Jason's wife took the pictures. She is somewhat our family videographer with her dear husband Jason on the video. Thanks for spreading the good word on Bud, a "truly humble hero"

Di said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm so sad that we missed it! We were out of town. I heard wonderful things about it. Grandpa Bud and GG make even the married in family like myself feel just as special.